Monday, February 4, 2008

"Are you watching the Puppy Bowl!?"

Yesterday was Super Bowl Sunday and although I don't really care about such things, I'm typically up for an excuse to eat foods that are bad for me and enjoy the company of friends who know only slightly more (or less) about team sports than I do. So, we gathered and we cooked and we enjoyed... The Puppy Bowl, which Jessica immediately declared as she entered the house "Are you watching The Puppy Bowl!?" and my only response was "What's the puppy bowl?" "It's on animal planet!" "Um, ok." We watched the puppies on animal planet. They just run around and play with each other on a carefully crafted fake football field and although there was nothing happening, I couldn't look away. It was mesmerizing.

Eventually, we made our way over to the Super Bowl and I found myself equally, if not more so mesmerized by that. It was really quite a sight how our group of non-football watchers actually had interest in the outcome of the game, only exercising silence when the commercials would come on.

It was entertaining and the results were unexpected. I left for home feeling full and sleepy.

Sleepy seems to be a theme in my life as of late that I am trying to combat because I don't think it is actually based in lack of sleep. I think it is the result of Chicago winter, which can wear away at the brightest of moods. This year especially it seems the temperatures have been excessively cold and the snow has come in larger amounts than usual. After getting over a foot last week, we received another coupla inches last night. It is intially quite beautiful to look at, but wading through the slush on my way to the bus this morning leaves something to be desired.

Here is Christina with chili in hand waiting for chivalrous Philip to remove the snow from the car. I would have made her do it herself.

No comments: