Tuesday, June 3, 2008

What to be, what to be.

Yesterday I ran 3 miles straight, no stops, all the way through, breathing heavily and nearly passing out... but I did it.

A 5k run is in my future. Two of my coworkers have said that they are going to do it, so in an effort to be a goal setter I have signed up for it too. The truth is that 5 kilometers is quite a short distance and should be relatively simple for me to complete given my age and general fitness, but it still scares the crap out of me because it is not as simple as me showing up to the gym and failing myself... it is me potentially not being able to keep up with two other people I have committed to.

One of the persons running is an inspiration to me as she is fit and disciplined.
The other is also an inspiration. She has lost 20 pounds and now works out very regularly, manages to say no to sweets, and plans accordingly, but I think she and I might run at more of a similar pace.

After running 3 miles (not 5 kilometers mind you) I hurried home to waste as much time as I possibly could doing laundry, making food, rearranging things that don't need rearranging so that I could put off doing my homework. At about 9pm I finally dug in to work on my final project for my class and I was reminded just how my attention is limited. At 1am I had somewhat completed what I needed to do, but this was not without breaks for skyping, eating, wandering, eating, eating.

I don't know if I'm supposed to be a student.
I don't think I really do a very good job of it.
I don't know what I'm supposed to be, frankly.

Speaking of things I don't know if I'm supposed to do... I am in this photo show that opens on Friday. You are all invited. I haven't made mention of it because I just had this fear that the prints wouldn't get done and if they were done they wouldn't be good because it turned into this ordeal that I didn't anticipate, but it seems that they are done and it will happen.



I think it might be fun, so come by if you like.

No comments: