Monday, June 23, 2008

A Single Bid

I ain't gonna lie, I thought my Friday at the beach was going to be a total bust given the fact that I awoke in the morning to the sound of pouring rain and a sky as grey as night, but! in the end, when all was said and done it was a successful day.

After a morning of talk show love and few too many cups of coffee, Robin agreed to meet me up by Argyle street for some afternoon shopping around little Vietnam. I haven't done this very extensively before and I have to say I was shocked by all the fun stores that are along there. We drank bubble teas and played with live crabs that people take out of boxes and eat. Yowzah are they fierce. Then, when the skies cleared for a bit we made our way over to the beach to soak up a bit of sun, but I'm afraid by the time we slathered sunscreen over our underexposed skin the sun had disappeared so we just spent the remainder of the time in the shade yelling and throwing sand at over zealous seagulls.

The remainder of the weekend was mostly spent outside, lounging, enjoying the sun. A street fair, and a cookout by the lake. A night at the Dunlay's with friends in the midst of people yelling at the TV about the Cubs and the Sox.

I had one bit of a shocker on Friday. Well, not a shocker, a long time coming... so long that it didn't seem it would come, but there has been a firm bid on my parents house and it seems as though it will be sold soon. This is the best thing that could happen to them as the house has been sitting on the market for two years (maybe more?) with not a single bid, and given the state of the Michigan economy it is great that someone is interested in buying. It is just going to be a very strange transition. I think in the back of my head I've always thought I could end up back there if I needed to. I probably never would nor will, but it's the idea that my childhood home would just be there if I needed it and now it wont be. There will be a new home and certainly space for me in it, but it's more about the idea I guess. It is a really intense feeling. I just hope to get home often this summer to take advantage of these last days.

More on this later.

Today I will leave work a bit early to go to a staff party with a New Orleans theme. What do you bet they are handing out Mardi Gras beads?

Then off to the GenArt film festival.

I think week will be a good one.

No comments: