Monday, January 5, 2009

How can you watch this?

Recently I've become obsessed with On The Road Again - Spain. Linsey mentioned the show to me previously, but while I was in Michigan I caught an episode on PBS and immediately did a little search online to see if I could download the episodes. I did just that and have watched each and every episode thoroughly, since. The premise is simple, with Mario Batali, Mark Bitner, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Claudia Bassolls embarking upon a terribly indulgent rich person road trip throughout Spain. They stop in different towns and cities exploring the history and sampling the local cuisine. It is mostly unscripted and dips back and forth between Spanish and English.

For some reason the fantasy of it all has completely sucked me in. I actually think it takes me back to how I felt when I was watching Vicky Cristina Barcelona earlier this year... but more on that later.

The truth of the matter is that I've had some time to kill, so the escape of watching other people enjoy the treasures of Spain, whilst I deal with the cold winter of Chicago seemed like an ok thing. I mean, beautiful country side, interesting people, delicious food... all of it.

The funny part is that I keep singing the praises of this show, to pretty much anyone who will listen and today I received another of the same responses that I keep getting. It goes something like this: "I tried to watch and episode and I was so annoyed by their conversations that I had to change the channel." or "I watched and bit and wondered how you could stand to watch it." Not a single person has told me that they enjoyed it or even thought it was entertaining which is a bit disconcerting and makes me wonder what is different for me?

I saw The Reader yesterday. I wasn't quite prepared for the nature of the beginning of the movie, but as it went along and took a bit of a darker turn I found myself becoming much more engaged. It is actually growing in my mind as I sit with it for a bit. I think between The Reader and Doubt I believe I have seen two incredible acting performances by two amazingly fine actresses. If you haven't seen Doubt, keep and eye out for this woman as she nearly steals the show with just a few moments of acting.

Today is my first day back to work and will be my first day back to class as well. I'd be lying if I said I was excited about that in any way. My only highlight thus far was finding out that I don't need to purchase a text book for my course. Oh, and adding new events to my calendar to look forward to.

I have to start working on that list from my previous post...

No comments: