Friday, January 16, 2009

Glutton For

Sorry, I was on the phone with my mother.

She was telling me how beautiful the snow was and the sun was shining and yada yada yada... and I'm thinking how she didn't have to wait for public transit therefore she is in much better place to gush over the beauty of sub-zero temps.

I'm gonna be honest.
This cold is totally redonk.
It is silly cold.
Painful to simply exit your home, let alone go to work in.
As I'm walking, I'm thinking, "Who even does anything in weather like this? I think the only appropriate behavior is to stay in bed."
My silliest admission would be that yesterday, while I waited far too long for the bus in the bone freezing chill I actually felt like crying. Not because I was sad or upset, but for some unknown reason that was undoubtedly spurred by the cold I felt as though I could cry. I didn't, which is a freakin' good thing because my face would have frozen along with tears... but the cold does weird things to you.

BUT.

I gotta tell you that I think the midwesterner in me really enjoys a good cold snap like this. See, when you grow up here you get used to the four seasons and the extremes of them all. We like to bitch about how blistering hot it is in the midst of August and how unbelievably gorgeous it is in the midst of spring. Then winter rolls around and we kind of count get a kick out of how sever it will be. We stay inside, we wear layers, we drink warm drinks and we generally enjoy complaining about how it makes us "tired" and how we "can't wait for it to be over." So, I'd be lying if I said I didn't take a bit -o- pleasure in the severity of this all.

Most of all, I'm just thankful.
I mean, I have a warm house in the midst of this.
I have the $ to buy hot drinks.
I have good people around me to keep me company in the midst of needing to stay inside.
Also, this year doesn't seem to be affecting my mood as it has in the past. No special light necessary this year. Fingers crossed!

Tonight I will attending a cat circus. I'll let ya know how that goes...

No comments: