Tuesday, January 13, 2009

*eats salad*

Yesterday while waiting for class to begin, I tried to engage the girl next to me in conversation as she is in the same interdisciplinary program I am in and I thought I would just see how it is going for her. It went a bit something like this:

Me: "So, are you a full time student?"
Her: "Yes."
Me: "So, when will you be done with the program?"
Her: "This June. I have really plowed through. I just wish I knew more certainly when certain classes were offered."
Me: "Well, have you taken any of the MPS [Master of Public Service] classes?" (My thought was that these classes seem to be offered as listed.)
Her: "No, I'm trying to stay away from public service."
Me: *silence* *takes bite of salad*
Her: "I want to make money."
Me: *keeps eating salad*

These sort of interactions confirm my suspicions about higher education. I guess the way in which I'm seeking a meaningful educational experience is contradictory to the way in which most are seeking a means to an end.

This concerns me.

No comments: