Wednesday, September 24, 2008

On Sympathy

I'm still in a lot of pain today. I don't know what the deal is. I even spent time last night simply laying low and trying to not stress things out, but yes my neck is still immobile.

Yesterday it turned out one of my coworkers was in pretty much the exact same position, with a stiff neck attributed to ??? As we were discussing this at lunch I was thinking how difficult it is to be sympathetic to pain when you're not feeling it. I can obviously sympathize with her as we are both struggling with something similar, but there is a part of me that was thinking that my pain is probably worse... which is ridiculous, right? She could be on the verge of tears and I could simply be uncomfortable. But, for instance, my mother has a disease called Fibromyalgia which is essentially a constant inflammation of the muscles. This causes her to be in pain pretty much at all times. I think it is so difficult to be sensitive to this and understand the ways in which pain undermines your mood. Like right now, I don't want to talk to anyone because I am in pain... I bet she feels that way all the time. It reminds me of how every time I get sick I remember how much it sucks to be sick and then I remember that some people are sick all the time and that must absolutely blow.

Anyway, I'm just reminding myself that it is a good idea to be sympathetic toward people rather than hard nosed on the issue which I can often be.

I caught an episode of The Hills last night. I haven't watched it this season, but I was reminded what I've been missing. (Upon LC's return from Italia) “You know how when you walk by a construction site? And all the guys, like, whistle at you? Italy’s kind of like a construction site.”

No comments: