Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Faux

I know I've been absent, but I have a good excuse.

Actually, it seems like many around me have a good excuse as sickness and odd happenings abound.

See, I found out on Friday night after my concert that my father had taken my mother to the ER because she was having issues with her heart. In short, she did not have a heart attack, but her heart was not working properly. This is not entirely a surprise, as she has had heart problems in the past. But, it was of course scary and her two night stay didn't make my weekend all that enjoyable. She is now home, on some new meds and doing fine, so overall I think this turned out alright, but it sure disrupted business as usual. I will head to Michigan on Thursday to see her.

The concert on Friday was quite the success. You can read about it in the trib, here. The Russians apparently came out in full force to enjoy some music in their native tongue. Overall, it was quite moving for me.

Besides spending time worrying and dealing with my most recent toothache, I did get some time out in the sun this weekend. It was a stunning day on Saturday. Brunch at The Bagel with Ryan and then an afternoon of cleaning. The kind where you open up all the windows and shake out your rugs. It feels so good to be in my apartment right now as I seem to have eliminated the staleness of winter.

Sunday, Tina and I had a bit of a picnic in the park, which was honestly too cold to be that hospitable to us, but we braved the temps to take in the Vitamin D. I then spent some time working out (which I am managing to do quite regularly!) and then headed to the asian food store to by more faux meats. WHICH, everyone in my life, including my vegetarian friends are giving me a hard time about. I am just so fascinated by the fact that these are so successfully made. Take for instance, the fake shrimp I bought.



I made a tofu and "shrimp" soup, with rice noodles, onion and green and red peppers. It was delish. But, I mean, I get it. The fake shrimp are totally creepy and weren't nearly as good as some of the other fake "meats" I've been trying. It is fascinating, though. I'm not making anyone else eat it anyway, so let me enjoy.

Yesterday and today have been rainy and grey. I guess it is suitable for those who are on a real spring break and have taken off to somewhere tropical and warm. I on the other hand am just trying to appreciate the quiet. Maybe I'll sit by a heat lamp or something later.

1 comment:

Regardless of numbers... said...

So... I came across your work that was featured on BOOOOOOM.com... Congrats your photography is amazing...