Monday, November 3, 2008

General Optimism

Hi Friends.

I have to tell you, I think the weather is reflective and also a contributor of/to my mood. It is a truly lovely day out and is supposed to continue to be so for the next couple days. Low 70's and sunny.

My weekend was the right amount of leisure, lazy, and productivity. Friday evening I enjoyed Halloween festivities with the bulk of the 20 somethings in Chicago. It really is quite a scene to just walk around on the evening of and see the young urban professionals dressed up in the various and sundry costumes. I remember when I first moved to the city who surprised I was at the serious nature in which adults treated Halloween, but now I'm right there with 'em. Bring on the costumes and bring on the party.

My costume, you ask? Well, here I am with my friend Ana. She was "bloody mary" and I was...



... a deviled egg! Yes, yes. I told this girl I know that I was a deviled egg and she responded "Oh, I was a deviled egg last year." so, I mean, I know it is not original, but it felt just punny enough to get me through the night. Oh, and I wore white sweat pants. Enough said.

Saturday was mostly just laying low as the weather was grey and the mood was "day after." The only activity of note was watching The Diving Bell and The Butterfly with Ryan and Linsey, which I have to admit I was resistant to do as the premise seemed somewhat boring, but I was fully engaged and recommend it whole heartedly as a result.

Sunday I did the usual church singing and had a lovely little lunch with Tina. This was followed by the kind of cleaning I usually reserve for spring, but given the spring like weather it seemed all too appropriate to move all the furniture and mop the floors. The truth is I'm not necessarily a clean freak, but I am certainly a happier person when all is in order, smells good, and lacks any sort of dust. That is the state of my home currently.

Now, most importantly, I am feeling all sorts of anxious optimism about tomorrow. I received my confirmation email so I do actually have a ticket to the rally tomorrow evening. Regardless of outcome, I feel so strongly about the sheer magnitude of this point in history and so pleased to be a part of it. I do believe in my heart that things are getting better. I feel sick about the blatant bigotry that a race like this has so clearly pushed to the surface but I think about the history of our country and the fact that it was created on a foundation of opression. This is now less the case more than it ever has been (thank you jesus!), and if you don't believe it, look to the fact that one ticket is headed by a black man and the other includes a woman. Now, this has been a long time coming, but it is here and with regards to these matters I do not believe there is a true reverse. Possible steps backwards? Maybe, but reverse, no. Most of all, I believe that with progress comes optimism and optimism is something I am happy to be a part of even as it relates to dreaded politics. This is why I feel so strongly about encouraging everyone I know to be a part of something big. Something new and different and progressive and forward leaning and inclusive and and and... American?! How exciting!

No comments: