Tuesday, August 26, 2008

DNC

Mary came through town last night as she oft does given her vagabond status. Upon entry into my house she exclaimed disappointment at the fact that I was watching the Democratic National Convention. See, in the same way she thinks the Olympics are like a big High School track meet, she thinks the DNC is like a big high school pep rally... and you know, I have to say that in all it's choreographed glory, I am a sucker for a good pep rally. Maybe in the same way I'm a sucker for a high school track meet.

I know these conventions are gross with gooey political affectedness and I guess most disappointingly they try to manufacture an energy that in some way seems to undermine the energy that Barack Obama seemed to naturally generate to begin with. But, the truth of the matter is that I'm still excited about the future of our political system and I'm excited that the DNC is providing a venue for prominent underrepresented leaders to have a national/international spotlight to be seen and heard. I felt a bit disappointed that Michele Obama had to speak singularly to family values etc when I know the woman is smart in the political sphere as well and could have been articulate on political issues (issues affecting women, minorities, immigration etc), but they are playing the game that I suppose they have to play and she gave a speech that kept my attention through out.

Anyway, the point being that I understand that these events are essentially bullshit, but I am finding it a good replacement for the lack of Olympics on television and I am attempting to remain optimistic in the midst of it all.

I also found myself excited as saw my friend Keysha posted pictures with our friend Cindy at the convention. This actually made me wish I was there.





Awesome.

No comments: